Star Wars Shandiin Tunic and a hong kong seam mini tute!

TIME FOR A LITTLE MORE STAR WARS LOVE SEW GEEKY STYLE!

Disclaimer: this post contains affiliate links.  And while I did get the pattern for free, all the opinions are completely my own.

One of my very very best friends and fellow blogger, Sarah of EmmyLouBeeDoo, has literally just released her latest PDF pattern: {affiliate linkThe Shandiin Tank and Tunic!

What I love about this pattern is all the little details and customizations!  I thought since I was a pretty unhelpful tester, that I would go all out on this one to show off how fancy this pattern is!

We're talking:

  • button plackets 
  • adorable cut-outs
  • fitted arm straps
  • tank or tunic lengths
  • multiple options for binding
  • optional all in one with no buttons
  • optional elastic cased hem
  • free Em with every purchase (KIDDING!  Wouldn't that be awesome though!)
  • is suitable for wovens and knits
  • ranges in size from 12months-8years

and then my favorite features:

  • all-in-one frontAND hem facing
  • optional Hong Kong seams finishing/binding

In any pattern or book, what I love most is leaning a new technique.  With that being said, this pattern reminds me of some of my favorite "go-to" Japanese patterns.  I can't say things unbiasly because I do love every pattern Sarah has done (they are seriously my go-to patterns for everything for the girls) and she is a dear friend, but this pattern truly quite impressive in so many ways.

 I obviously was holding out to do mine as part of Sew Geeky and as soon as the second to last draft of the pattern was issued, I started planning out my top.

I made for Sephira this time since I've already made for Azriella and have something coming up for zee bebe' at the end of the month ;-)

I made in a size 3 which I think looks cute, but I probably could have gotten away with going down a size.  Funny thing is this'll fit Sephira as the Tunic length and Azriella as the Tank length!

Isn't the fabric cool?!  I had gotten this Star Wars remnant a looong time ago and when I sat down to cut out the fabric, I realized I was short on length!

So I color-blocked the front to make up for it.

My facings are made from a vintage quilting weight cotton in what I like to think of as a TV static print.

I made my buttons from scratch, as per the usual.

The Hong Kong seams, I was so excited to try out!  What I did was measure the edge of the front button placket facing, and then separately, the side seams, making sure I added an inch to the lengths of all the measurements and making sure I cut a 1" strip for each unfinished edge (there were six edges to cover in total).  I just folded the edges into themselves (of the bindings) in half lengthwise, then folded it again along the long edge down the middle.  It made binding that was 1/4" wide which is perfect since the seam allowances are 3/8".

Check out more Shandiin Tester pics with the hashtag: #shandiintank and check out more sew geeky pics with the hashtag: #sewgeeky or clicking the tab up top!

So there's that!!  Pop on over and get your copy today and start sewing up some summer goodness!

STOP BACK HERE ON THE 25TH OF MAY FOR A VERY VERY SPECIAL SEW GEEKY OUTFIT BY ME, MAX AND TARA!!!!

Until then!

🌈click HERE to follow Sew Chibi Designs on Bloglovin!🦄